pcnightmares
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
pcnightmares

free advice on pc problems

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Connecting to a wireless Router

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
roadrunner
Admin
roadrunner

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Connecting to a wireless Router Empty
PostSubject: Connecting to a wireless Router   Connecting to a wireless Router EmptyWed Apr 04, 2007 6:47 am

I am currently having problems connecting to a Wireless ADSL Speedtouch Router from my laptop. Sometimes i can connect to it but only for around 10minutes. After this point, it loses connection and will not connect to the wireless network again. I have tried going through the troubleshooting that came with the unit but still nil fix. The signal strength shows EX all the time as i am not sure if it is a signal problem.

Any help with this issue would be great Very Happy
Back to top Go down
photoking

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-04-02

PostSubject: wi-fi routers   Connecting to a wireless Router EmptyThu Apr 05, 2007 5:32 pm

Not sure that you could call this helpful, but I have had a series of wireless routers, they seem to burn out after a year.
What IS OBVIOUS is that some computers like some makes and some computers like others.
Some work for a while then just decide they will NOT any longer.

The most successfull with the greatest number is Netgear.

My sons are top professionals and they could not make the others hold or make connections even when the signal strength was perfect. Some are just incompatible.

I now have a Netgear 802.ii n wi-fi/router/hub and it's good over a massive distance. Also compatible with the new faster BT speeds.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Admin
roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Connecting to a wireless Router   Connecting to a wireless Router EmptyMon Apr 09, 2007 10:47 am

Thanks for the information as i am quite a begginer with wireless systems. I got the wireless router through my broadband supplier so thought i may aswell give it a try. I have done some research on the internet into this problem and have found other people with similar problems as me. They have sugguested a couple of solutions, which i am going to try and then post back on here to let you guys know whether it works or not!!

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Admin
roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Connecting to a wireless Router   Connecting to a wireless Router EmptyThu Apr 12, 2007 1:15 am

It appears that i have fixed my problem with my wireless router. After doing some investigation, it turns out there is an option called Wireless Zero Configuration, which allows windows to automatically select and connect to preferred networks which become available. This can cause the wirless connection to drop off every 10 minutes, forcing you to reconnect everytime.

To alter this setting, you can lauch the services menu by lauching windows RUN, then by typing SERVICES.MSC and selecting ok. This takes you into the Administrative Tools menu.

From this window, you need to scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration and right click the name, then click properties.

Then from the service status area, choose stop to stop this service.

Also, to prevent it happening again, on the same Wireless Zero Configuration menu, select the startup type drop down menu and disable the service.

Thats it really, hope it helps somebody else with this annoying problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Connecting to a wireless Router   Connecting to a wireless Router Empty

Back to top Go down

Connecting to a wireless Router
Page 1 of 1