pcnightmares
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
pcnightmares

free advice on pc problems

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ify monitor

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mebd2001

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2007-04-15

Ify monitor Empty
PostSubject: Ify monitor   Ify monitor EmptyThu Apr 26, 2007 1:20 pm

I would apreciate any advice. I bought a Dell E172FP flat screen monitor on ebay 12.50 pounds and it is 17 inch. The seller (who from emails is a young welsh girl, I believe) said that it just stopped working so she is selling it for spares or repair. Anyway I connected it up, and pressed the power switch. This light up and there was a very brief flash of some sort of boot screen or so I think. Then it went back to black. The power switch then continues to flash on and off. According to the downloaded manual it needs to be used with an analog -D video cable wich I am at present awaiting. The thing is only 2 years old and I believe that the problem is possibly just drivers etc. According to the manual trouble shoot it could be that the thing is in power saving mode. I hope you guys don't mind me furthering my knowledge by using you.
Back to top Go down
billd2001

Number of posts : 14

Ify monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ify monitor   Ify monitor EmptyThu Apr 26, 2007 1:34 pm

waggers mebd2001 is actually billd2001 the site let me in with the name I use on yahoo.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Admin
roadrunner

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Ify monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ify monitor   Ify monitor EmptyFri Apr 27, 2007 11:24 am

I have just been looking into this problem. Looking at different sites, it appears as this is a common fault with these units, which can be repaired but is costly to do so. The LCD screen is actually made by samsung which is of good quality and is not prone to failure. The problem comes with the rest of the power circuits and control boards, of which are made by another company. In your case, it seems as the power invertor, which creates the power for the LCD to work is faulty, which gives you the indications that you are getting. There is no other way of repairing this unit apart from replacing this part, which seems to price in at £75-100.

Hope this helps

Roadrunner Very Happy
Back to top Go down
billd2001

Number of posts : 14

Ify monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ify monitor   Ify monitor EmptyFri Apr 27, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks roadrunner, at £12.50 I haven't lost much. Pity though the thing hasn't got a mark on it. Anyway I can play around, have it in bits so can learn about it. It is great to have a man who knows, can learn a great deal from you guys.
Back to top Go down
waggers

waggers

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2007-03-30

Ify monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ify monitor   Ify monitor EmptySun May 06, 2007 3:54 am

i managed to activate your first account a while ago, so you can now use either to log on here with Smile
Back to top Go down
High_Priestess10
Admin
High_Priestess10

Number of posts : 27

Ify monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ify monitor   Ify monitor EmptySun May 06, 2007 4:24 am

Talking of monitors, on Friday morning I switched on and my Dell analogue screen was a murky green in colour. Uh-oh I thought but I was surprised as I had read that analogue monitors don't give any warning before packing up. Anyway I quickly scouted around online retailers such as Argos, Currys and (God forbid), PC World for a new one.

There was no way I was going for an Advent or an unheard of make so I was looking at either a Samsung or an LG, both at around £150.

However I am away on Tuesday for a while and none could deliver before Tuesday and there were no slots beyond the middle of May so I decided to wait. An hour on and the screen went blue. Only then did the thought cross my mind to check the back and the cable was hanging on like grim death, by two pins Laughing

Saved me a few quid! But it did make me have a rethink about a spare. I was considering it last year and as I don't drive I think it would be sensible to get one in and store it incase my monitor fails any day soon.

This came with my original Dell Dimension and it's 5 years old now - is that fairly good going? I have it on all day LOL.

I do like the Samsung but can't fit anything larger than a 17" on my PC workstation. Any tried and tested reccies would be appreciated. One thing I do know is that Advent hardware is always being returned in PC World. Every time I took in my Advent keyboards for replacement the queue was full of people holding various Advent hardware Shocked
Back to top Go down
waggers

waggers

Ify monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ify monitor   Ify monitor EmptySun May 06, 2007 4:36 am

£150 for a monitor lo !!!!! don't you go spending that sort of money,far better deals around. i'm always posting on our msn site of deals,latest was £103 for a tft 19" i'm sure a 19" would fit on your desk ok Wink
as you did always good idea to check cables are fully pushed in when any fault shows it's self
Back to top Go down
High_Priestess10
Admin
High_Priestess10

Number of posts : 27

Ify monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ify monitor   Ify monitor EmptyMon May 07, 2007 3:48 am

I did think it was a bit steep Clive Embarassed

I have a link actually around here somewhere on my faves list (amongst hundreds of links and folders!), that you kindly gave me last year. I have just remembered!

The next one up was £200.

I didn't really want to dig too deep into the savings because I have just had to get a new washing machine...lol.

Why don't the highstreet stores do better deals? I worry that if I get one online, delivered, that if it goes wrong I am not in any position to return it.

I'm usually very good at shopping around, I am not one to throw my money about but I worry about getting an inferior model of anything that is technical because I am not good at diagnostics and some can be so temporamental (like the Advent range for example).

That keyboard I had, the Advent slimline USB chrome thing was £24.99 in PC World but I saw it in Currys for £14.99. That is a HUGE profit margin PC World are making affraid
Back to top Go down
waggers

waggers

Ify monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ify monitor   Ify monitor EmptyMon May 07, 2007 12:43 pm

if you only want a 17" one here's one at overclockers who i highly recommend
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-023-OK&groupid=17&catid=275&subcat=
£82 + delivery and a 3yr warranty

currys and pcworld are the same company
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ify monitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ify monitor   Ify monitor Empty

Back to top Go down

Ify monitor
Page 1 of 1